So, I have just under 48 hours in London. Landing in Heathrow, I was a little overwhelmed with relief that everyone was speaking English. People in Berlin either speak perfect English or no English at all - including the doctor at the hospital.
Berlin is a great place. It's just a pity that I couldn't enjoy it because I got sick. We had to change a lot of our plans on account of lost time.
Nonetheless, we both agreed that Berlin is really great and the first place that we've seriously considered moving to. Getting to Tegel was an adventure! I had to take the bus to the train station and then another bus to Tegel. I haven't flown with British Airways since I was 14 years old and I didn't have a pleasant experience. This time the crew were actually English and they were great. The steward added "wee" to everything. "It's really hot so watch your wee hands, won't you?"
Anyway, arriving or landing in Heathrow is like a half day event. I landed at 12:30pm and didn't clear customs until almost an hour later. No baggage claim anxiety as the belt had already delivered everyone's bags by the time we reached the belt. Yay.
My hostel is one huge trek from Heathrow. I alighted at St Paul's and made my way to the hostel. It's literally right outside St Paul's cathedral. Amazing location - no wonder they charge premium prices and make me pay for my wifi....
Basically as soon as I dropped my bag off, I grabbed a map and set off for Victoria underground station. I managed to get a ticket to see Wicked at Apollo Victoria Theatre on the same night. After purchasing my ticket, I walked to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. The weather was amazing so I sat in the park opposite Big Ben and just watched clouds whilst eating my lunch. Picnic!
I though that since I'd actually already seen Wicked before i would get a less expensive ticket (more money for Harrods, right?) I got row 43. Wow. Elphiba was like this weeeeee ant. But the show has been running for so many months yet it was still packed and I can see why. I must admit the standard of performers exceed the Australian cast.
This morning I got up early to fight for a shower. To my disappointment, the weather did not hold up and it was pouring its rain when I left the hostel. Hyde Park is really not amazing in the pouring rain but I went for a (quick) stroll anyway. I thought I'd be a real smartness and get a good spot for the 11am change of guard at Buckingham Palace. I got there at 10:30am and there was absolutely no way I could get a standing spot anywhere close to the gates. Nonetheless, I stayed along with the hundreds of other people to ...listen to the change of guards. What I don't understand is why English people go..it happens every day! You'd think they don't find it that interesting anymore.
After change of guards I went to Harrods. I literally spent the whole afternoon there. When i checked in at Tegel my bag was only 13kg (i know - amazing)...i'm not sure what it is now but not 13!
I got a little homesick this morning. Am missing everyone. And my little Latte. Thank you Steve for reassuring me and encouraging me to push through. Love you.
I bought a voucher for the London Eye through my hostel so I made my way there with my relatively large bag of shopping. To my horror, when we were almost at the top a very large woman in Muslim attire started smoking - inside! An English man who was with his 2 daughters spoke up and told her to put it out because in the UK you are not allowed to smoke in enclosed areas. She insisted that there were no signs and as such she refused to do so...she said if he had breathing difficulties she could move to a corner. She clearly had issues. Everyone was waiting for her to put out her cigarette but she refused claiming she had a smoking addiction. I couldn't stand around and watch like everyone so I said to her, "There are children and even babies, I suggest you put out your cigarette immediately. We don't all have to suffer because you have a smoking addiction." She ignored me. So I hit the emergency button and told the operator. Lol...it's funny what you have the guts to do when you're in a foreign place. Anyway, the operator told the woman it was definitely against the law and that if she did not out it out immediately, the police would be waiting for her at the bottom. Everyone clapped and the English man came to shake my hand.....
I also had a real english High Tea at a cute little cafe in Charing Cross which i passed on my way to Trafalgar Square.
London has been great. I want to live here also...although if they are sending out extreme heat warnings on the underground at 21 degrees, i cannot imagine (or handle) anything that isn't summer.
Hong Kong tomorrow. Home stretch!
Bye now.









No comments:
Post a Comment