Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cahors, France 11:35pm 15/7/13

I am so sad to be leaving this little country town in the south of France. It's every bit as lovely as it was promising. It has a population of approx 20'000 and its the real Europe. I'm so glad I decided to come or else I would never have come back to France again after experiencing Paris.
Sylvain's family are the most chill, hilarious and hospitable bunch. Sylvain's dad used to be a dentist and upon retirement became the mayor of Cahors for 5 years. He is a really laid back and humorous guy. He is not at all pompous, unlike the Parisians. Sylvain's mum is great too. Upon hearing about my lost baggage (C'est catastrophic!) she proceeded to pull out her entire wardrobe and asked me to take whatever I pleased. She is a great cook - I had traditional homemade French food and lots of it! I even met Sylvain's nana. It must be the good lifestyle in Cahors...she is 92 and the liveliest person!
Anyway, in the morning we set off to buy some clothes and find a bikini because Sylvain was adamant that I should go for a swim. He took me to see some of the monuments including the 2nd biggest cathedral in Europe and an old Roman bath. The highlight was of course the bridge. It's breathtaking. It was getting really warm by this stage so after a champagne by the lake, we headed home.
Lunch with Sylvain's nana including her 3rd boyfriend since becoming a widow was enjoyable. After lunch during which i had way WAY too much wine, (which went for 3 hours) I had a swim in the pool. Perfect weather for it...I haven't been so tanned in years! After the swim I had nap time with Sylvain's 2 year old daughter and woke up...for dinner! What a great life. If I had stayed any longer I would have never come home or I would come home unrecognisably fat!
Tomorrow I'm on the first train out of town, heading to the airport. Hopefully my bag will be at Rome Airport waiting for me as they had assured. I'm pumped to do some real backpacking. I've had it real good so far...private rooms and no bags to carry.
Italy will be a real challenge and it begins tomorrow!
Bonne nuit et au revoir, France.


No comments:

Post a Comment