Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Hong Kong, 10:30pm 12/7/13

So Mum told me to keep a blog so that in the event something happened - there would be some indication of where I was last.

As expected, I'm still feeling extremely anxious. This morning I was in the bathroom when I heard Dad leave the house. I was surprised that he didn't even say bye but I guessed he had plans to make it back in time to take me to the airport. Knowing that he had a 12:30pm appointment I knew this was mission impossible but he was determined to do it. Nonetheless, I raced out and gave him a hug. He said, "Bye. Have a safe trip. Love you." And off he went.

I went back into the house (to finish my business in the bathroom, if you must know) but the tears were already rolling down my face. Since when did I become such a sucker?

Mum took me to the airport and at the departure gate when she said bye I still had the urge to cancel my trip and stay at home. In fact, it's now 6 hours into my flight from Sydney to Hong Kong and I still feel like going home - that's how far out of my comfort zone this trip is. I don't like being away from home for longer than 3 days. I don't like being anywhere that I don't speak the language and I hate not having 3G! How am i supposed to survive without Google maps??

Yesterday, I received some advice - never look like you don't know where you're going. Always walk with a purpose.

Hello? I honestly have no idea where I'm going??! How does one even get from the airport to Gare du Nord? How does one look inconspicuous when one is a little Asian girl with a huge back pack walking through Charles de Gaulle airport?

Ok - freakout over. I think i just need to concentrate on breathing for the next few hours.

Bye now.

No comments:

Post a Comment